Selected earlier talks and presentations
Some of the other older talks and presentations I gave in 2016/2017. Contact me if you want to know more or a copy of the talk.
- “Researching Hate Speech Online.” Guest lecture for BBC Media Action, London, UK
- “Hate Speech, Fake News or No News: reflections on social media and international journalism.” Guest lecture at School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London.
- “Researching Online Hate Speech.” Guest lecture, Institute for Future Media and Journalism. Dublin City University (DCU), Dublin, Ireland.
- “Comparative mapping of online networks of the EU’s extreme far right and ISIS: lessons learned for research and policy.” Presentation at the ESRC Research Seminar Series on Youth Extremisms: Across ideological and religious contexts, Den Haag, Netherlands.
- “Comparative mapping of online networks of the EU’s extreme far right and ISIS: lessons learned for research and policy.” presentation at the Social Media, Conflict & Democracy: Utopian Visions, Dystopian Futures and Pragmatic Policies, joint workshop by VOX-Pol, MeCoDem and Infocore, Press Club, Brussels, Belgium.
- “Rapefugees not Welcome Here: Online Hate Speech, the Refugee Crisis and Far Right Extremism.” VOX-Pol Lunch Briefing Series, Brussels, Belgium.
- Panel on “Digital Media Cultures and Extreme Speech.” European Association of Social Anthropologist Panel (EASA) 2016, Milan, Italy.
- “Rapefugees not welcome here: comparative approaches to hate speech and online political extremism around the refugee crisis.” Presentation at the Taking Stock of Research on Violent Online Political Extremism conference at Dublin City University (DCU), Dublin, Ireland.
- “Accusations in a Mirror: ISIS, anti-Islamic hate speech, and the refugee crisis.” Presentation at the Conflict and Communication in Iraq and Syria, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)., London, UK.
- “Online hate speech and violent political extremism.” Guest seminar for the Network of Researchers on Political violence and Extremism, University of Helsinki, Finland.
- “The “dark” side of Internet freedoms: hate speech, populism and can we do anything about it?” Presentation at the Populism as movement and rhetorics conference, University of Jyväskylä, Finland.